Application for Certification of Registration & Hotel-Keeper’s Licence
Any person who wishes to operate a hotel has to apply to the Hotels Licensing Board for the following as stipulated under the Hotels Act (Chapter 127):
- Certificate of Registration to use the premises as a hotel; and
- Hotel-Keeper’s licence to enable the person to manage the hotel
- All hotels should have a valid Certificate of Registration and the Hotel-Keeper’s Licence while the hotel is in operation.
- The hotel can only commence operations after it has collected the Certificate and Licence.
At A Glance
||1 January to 30 November each year only
||Minimum of 2 weeks from the pre-opening inspection date
|Annual Licence Fees
||Certificate of Registration
(i) Hotel with 100 rooms and less - $200
(ii) Hotel with 101-299 rooms - $300
(iii) Hotel with 300 or more rooms - $400
Hotel-Keeper's licence fees for hotels of all sizes - $100
Submission of Application
Application for the Certificate of Registration and Hotel-Keeper’s licence is to be submitted online via the LicenceOne portal.
Application for the Certificate of Registration and Hotel-Keeper’s licence for new hotels can be made from 1 January to 30 November only.
Please submit all the following documents as attachments together with the online application.
- For the Certificate of Registration:
- Cover letter with the proposed date of commencement of operations of the Hotel.
- Grant of Written Permission from Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA)
- ACRA business profile of the business or company
- Temporary Occupation Permit (TOP) / Certificate of Statutory Completion (CSC) from the Building & Construction Authority (BCA). Under the Building Control Act, all building owners are required to conduct periodic structural inpsections once every 5 years for non-residential buildings. If the TOP/CSC is issued more than 5 years ago, please submit documentation of BCA’s acceptance of the most recent periodic inspection report of the building.
- Temporary Fire Permit (TFP) / Fire Safety Certificate (FSC) from the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF)
- Copy of the advertisements in two daily newspapers, for eg Straits Times and Lianhe Zaobao. Section 9 of the Hotels Licensing Regulations requires the applicant to advertise within two weeks of the date of the online application its intention to operate the hotel. The advertisement must be in the format of a Notice. The application will be processed if there are no objections from the public within fourteen (14) days of the advertisement date.
- For Hotel-Keeper’s Licence
- Resume (Curriculum Vitae) of the proposed Hotel-Keeper
- Copy of proposed Hotel-Keeper’s employment pass (if applicable)
- The Hotel-Keeper:
- Must be a person who holds a post of a Chief Executive Officer or General Manager or equivalent to that of a Chief Executive Officer or General Manager of the hotel; and
- Must be a Singaporean, Permanent Resident or an Employment Pass holder.
- A pre-opening inspection will be carried out to ascertain the hotel is ready for operations, upon receipt of all required documents. Checks will include, but are not limited to:
- Furniture and fittings in most rooms
- Clearly visible hotel frontage & signage
- Reception counter or area for receiving guests
- Fully installed and operating security
- Adherence to terms and conditions stated in URA’s Written Permission and conditions laid down by other Government agencies
Processing of the application will take a minimum of two weeks from the pre-opening inspection date.
You will be informed via SMS and/or e-mail if your application has been approved. Payment can then be made online via the LicenceOne Portal. Fees for both the Certificate of Registration and Hotel-keeper’s Licence must be paid via the LicenceOne Portal before they can be issued. If the payment is not made within one month, the application will lapse and the applicant will need to submit a new application.
After payment has been made, the Board will contact you regarding the collection of the Certificate and Licence.
- The Hotels Licensing Board reserves the right to prescribe additional conditions or waive existing conditions for any application for a Certificate of Registration and/or a Hotel-keeper’s Licence.
For More Information
The step-by-step guide to guide you through the submission of the application for a Certificate of Registration and Hotel-Keeper’s Licence can be found here
For further clarification, please email email@example.com or call 6736 6622.